Thursday, June 18, 2015

June garden update

June update

Things are moving along in our little garden! We have tomatoes on the plants, spinach ready to eat, even some little beans and peas! I've thinned out my corn, moved some zucchinis and tried again for eggplants. One tiny purple pepper is clinging to life! The brussel sprouts are still going strong and the carrots are getting nice big green tops.

June update

June update
The weed situation between the rows is getting out of hand. I pull 1 and 30 more pop up. I don't have the time to get it all done. What's my solution? Mulch. Specifically, grass clippings. I've got mountains of them. Maybe it'll help, maybe not. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work and I've added a ton of organic materials.

June update

The slugs are under control. Thank you to everyone that suggested Sluggo.  That stuff is magical! And now there's a new enemy - Aphids. Those little gross jerks are destroying my cauliflower. I didn't notice (or think to look) until one plant was looking sickly. I mean it was looking bad! I thought it needed more water, upon closer inspection it was over run with aphids. Out comes the diatomaceous earth again and we'll see what happens. I've been using Neem oil too. The Neem oil has been working but it's a battle! The plants are starting to close up, I think that means we're growing heads. I hope so!
June update

I'm not going to lie, the whole thing is starting to seem overwhelming and starting to look hopeless! Pity party for one, right here! I keep telling myself it's my first garden, there's going to be some bumps in the road. It's disappointing when all your hard work seems to be for nothing. Most of the peppers have died, I've lost 2 cauliflower plants so far, 2 corns that were doing well aren't, the eggplant won't germinate (I've planted a dozen seeds. I'm guessing I got a bad bunch), microgreens more like invisible greens. I only have 1 broccoli left and most of the squash aren't doing anything. I'm starting to think it's me, too much water, not enough? who knows.

June
My last little broccoli still hanging in there.


cucumber
june
These two were planted at the same time. What gives?

June update

June update
We have lots of tomatoes of every variety!


June update
 Every time I start weeding the carrots I get scared that I'll pull the carrots instead.

june update
June update
My one enormous zucchini and pumpkins.

june
Brussel Spouts seem to be doing well, no aphids or slugs. I'm sure theres something just waiting to jump out at me. 
june

june
The peas and beans have been struggling. I have more that have just sprouted. 


June
We've been enjoying spinach almost everyday.

What do you think? Any advice? How's your growing season going?

No comments:

Post a Comment