Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Eggs in January



It was a good month for eggs, certainly not as good as summer, but the best we've had an a while. We had a 5 and a 6 egg day! Lots of little first-eggs-in-a-while eggs, maybe half a dozen cracked eggs that were fed to the chickens.
Faux-Roo is still a bald mess, I've been giving him eggs when everyone else is doing other things. I'm starting to think he's not going to make it. He's a mess. One chicken broke a toe nail. And one didn't make it into the coop. So it goes

Here's the break down  107 eggs, 8.92 dozen, Spent $36 made $17 Cost $19 Cost per dozen $2.13 pretty good way to start the year!

This month we no extras, I didn't need to buy shavings, I only needed feed. Not too shabby! The first week of February, feed will be on sale, I'll be buying enough for the month, maybe for 6 weeks. I haven't decided yet. It's only a dollar off, so we'll see.

I'm going to try using straw in the coop instead of shavings, my thought process is it will break down in the compost much faster then the wood shavings and straw is much cheaper, not that cost really a big deal. We shall see how it works out.

It's also that time of year to think about getting more chickens. Last year we lost 2 pullets and 2 cockerels. Do we need more? No. Do I want more? Some times. I'd like to have a few colorful eggs just for the novelty. There is always a minimum chick order number and here you have to buy 6. I don't really want 6 chicks. I would like a few turkeys for thanksgiving though. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment