Thursday, May 28, 2015

Garden update for May!

May Update
Finally there is some progress! I have 12 rows and here's what's in em! Everything is planted!

row 1 is cucumbers both pickles and slicers, and some micro greens
2 broccoli, cauliflower, tomatos, garlic and wallawalla onions
3 tomatos of various varieties
4 onions
5 eggplant and bell peppers in a rainbow of colors
6 carrots various kinds
7 Brussel sprouts, parsnips and zucchinis
8 peas and beans
9 squash and lettuce
10 more squash of varying varieties, and some random tomatos
11 corn with room for anything that needs to be thinned
12 corn and spinach

This post is very photo heavy. You've been warned!

scribsfarm

scribsfarm

I go from thinking we don't have enough room and vegetables to being completely overwhelmed by how much we will have if everything grows well. Add nearly a dozen eggs a day on top of that and there will be a lot of food!
scribsfarm

scribsfarm

I've already got ideas for next year. I'd really like to grow asparagus. I didn't think it was cold enough but our favorite master gardener said it does. He's the expert! I really want to try and grow peanuts even if it's just a plant or two and cranberries. I joke with Scribs that our feild turns into a bog in the winter anyways. I'm also thinking about a fence next year to keep the rabbits out. I know they're going to have a feast once everything starts coming up, but as soon as I put a fence up I'm going to want to expand the garden.

scribsfarm

scribsfarm
Now I'm just getting ahead of myself. The next step for me is keeping everything healthy. Most of the vegetables like nitrogen and coffee is a good source. Vegetables like coffee? We are so the same!
I've also been doing mini-trench composting between plants to amend the soil. Our soil turns very hard when it dries. I'm talking you could build a house out of it. Like bricks.


scribsfarm
I'm in full on battle mode with the slugs. Those little jerks are eating EVERYTHING. I've tried beer with not great results, copper nothing. I've moved on to Sluggo, everyone seems to be singing it's praises. We'll see. So far I've been picking them up (gross!) and feeding them to the ducks.
scribsfarm

scribs farm

scribs farm

Now we water,wait and play vegetable-or-weed.

scribsfarm

scribsfarm

scribsfarm

scribsfarm

scribsfarm

Our peppers aren't doing great, I'm going to have to look into what to do to help them out!
I can't wait until the June update! I'm excited to see how everything progresses! 
How is your garden coming?


No comments:

Post a Comment