Tuesday, July 28, 2015

First time canning pickles

Kerr jars


Our garden is if full production mode. We have a ton of cucumbers and zucchini, maybe not quite a ton but a lot. A few hundred pounds I'm sure. I've been baking, shredding, and cooking everyday and barely making a dent. I need to pick up a new Grandma skill!

It's time I learned to pickle. Yesterday I followed the directions from the Kitchn . It was really easy. I found the whole process of canning a bit intimadating before getting started. Lots of "What
If" questions. What if the cans don't seal, what if they aren't good, what if I do it wrong. "What's ifs" be gone! I read the directions, check a few other sources to double check what I was unsure of and dove in. I can't wait for these babies to be ready. I'll admit I probably didn't choose the best cucumbers. I have pickers in the garden ready to go but used what was in the house already. I didn't use dill seeds or whole garlic cloves, I used what I had on hand. I will, however, order dill seeds for the next batch and a filler funnel.

I made a batch of fridge pickles from zucchini as well. We'll see what happens.

Do you can? What's your favorite technique, resources, recipes? I'm so eager to learn and try more!

No comments:

Post a Comment