Sunday, February 1, 2015

Compost

This morning I was feeling rough! To say I was tired was an understatement, no amount of coffee could stop the yawns. After dragging my butt all morning and being a lazy mom by letting the kids watch TV until nap time, I went outside to do some work. I sanded the baseboards for the dining room, put another coat of paint on N's dresser and went to check out the yard. Most of the grass that we mow is going to be a garden and our compost heap is out of control. I went to turn it, pick out the random stones and trash that made it in and try to make it more manageable.

Nothing wakes you up more than hard work in the cold rain! My hands a blistered, there's tiny bits of dirt still stuck under my nails and I'm sure I'll be sore tomorrow.
The compost is amazing. I always forget how much life is in there. It smells earthy and clean, there's worms, spiders and little beetles doing their magic.


The picture isn't great, it's blurry and from my phone but you get the idea. That's what is living in one pitchfork turn. I understand what is happening and why, but I don't ever think "Yes, it's a living breathing thing." I tend to just think of it as the place I dump my scraps. I can't wait to start planting, teaching the kids about growing our own food and eating! What kid doesn't love eating right out of the garden?


I could have taken a nap  but I don't think that would have helped. It's just one of those days!

No comments:

Post a Comment