Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Pickled zucchini and yellow squash. Holy moly so good.

You may remember I mentioned canning a few weeks ago. Well, I cracked open a jar and oh boy! They were delicious! I made some more and actually remembered to take some photos. We still have a ton of squash and zucchini but the plants have slowed down their production and I've started to make a dent in what we have. Now we have a new monster to deal with. Spaghetti squash.

zucchini recipe

I didn't end up using all of these squash, but I think I used about 8 of each. I used my mandolin on the thickest setting and went to work. I did all the slicing while the jars were boiling and the brine was brining. 

zucchini recipe

After slices the veggies and boiling the jars and lids, I filled the bottom of each jar with around 2 cloves on diced garlic, a heaving teaspoon on pickling spices and a heaping tea spoon of dried dill. I'm waiting for my dill seeds to arrive to make more pickles this week. 

Zucchini Recipe

After stuffing the jars in and attempting to make them pretty on came the brine. 1 cup water, 1 cup vinegar and 1.5 tablespoons of salt brought to a boil. 

Zucchini Recipe

A quick 5 minute boil in a water bath and easy-peasy pickles are done! Next time I'm going to run the jars through the dishwasher on the sanitizer cycle, boiling them just takes too darn long! I spend most of the my time boiling jars.

zucchini recipe

I don't know what I waited so long to try canning! I think I'm hooked! I'm picking up more jars this week and going to try my hand at pasta sauce and doing something with the enormous cauliflower heads. I have a mountain of cucumbers that need pickling too. Check out the recipe and some tips on the kitchen, I used their brine recipe and the spices as a guide.

I'm off to snack!

No comments:

Post a Comment