Monday, January 12, 2015

DIY Mirror update

This mirror came with a second hand dresser we bought. The mirror alone was worth the price of the dresser!
It finally warmed up enough to spray paint it out in the barn. This project was super simple. The most time consuming part was taping and sliding the cardboard between the frame and glass.


Before

Please ignore all the mess on the dresser!

Here's what I did. 
I scuffed up the wood with sandpaper, wiped off the dust. This took a total of 5 minutes. 

Next is getting the cardboard between the frame and glass. I used diet coke boxes. They're thin enough to slide in and sturdy enough to be pushed in without bending. I carefully slide some tape between the glass and frame where I couldn't fit the cardboard, covered the rest, taped it up and was ready to go!


Next was painting. I did 3 coats I think, I wanted to make sure all sides were covered and there was one high spot that just didn't want to be black! I let it dry for at least 30 minutes between coats.


There was a little bleed through onto that glass. My dear friend Google informed me that acetone would fix that. It sure did! Who knew?


Here's what I used
Krylon Fusion Black gloss
a tiny strip of sandpaper
a few diet coke boxes
frog tape


After

This is the first thing (other than the TV to go on the living room walls.




This was the easiest project!

No comments:

Post a Comment