Saturday, March 28, 2015

To Mandie and Rob on their wedding day

Today is my best friend's wedding and sadly I won't be there to share it with her because I'm a terrible friend. I'll be over at the pitty-party for one. Anyways, back to the point!

While everyone will be wishing you joy, happiness, love and a blissful future, there will be some bumps in the road. Let's be real. Scribs and I have been married for not quite a decade and here's a few things I've learned.

Communication is key, subtly dropping hints or being passive-aggressive doesn't work. Say what you need, mean what you say and stick to your word. Sometimes you need to get VERY specific. Had I learned this earlier I think life would have been much easier. "Scribs,  I need you to do XYZ while I do ABC."We had many arguments that could have easily been avoided.

I read somewhere that you're allowed to be mad at your spouse for 10 minutes a day. I think it's about right, sometimes I save my 10 minutes and am mad for an hour. This again, goes back to communication.

There's no I in Team but there is an I in Marriage. You're a team now and forever, both of your opinions and ideas matter, even if one of you is being an idiot! Admit your mistakes, don't drag up the past and respect each others feelings.

Make time for each other. A little goes a long way.

"Along with the sunshine there's gotta be a little rain sometime
When you take you gotta give so live and let live and let go"
-Rose Garden lyrics by Joe Smith

I hope you two continue to love and respect each other even when times are rough. You two have been through so much together and are deserving of joy and love. I'm so happy that the two of you have found your place together and have created such a beautiful, happy family. I hope you two have many years of endless joy and grow old together. Where ever you are headed in life, you are going together with half a football team in tow.

(more tips here)

Congratulations again on your wonderful day! I hope you cherish every moment and build many life-long memories today.

No comments:

Post a Comment