Thursday, September 17, 2015

Baby knits!

Confession: I'm terrible at getting things made on time. I'm pretty sure every baby has been born before I got their knits finished and some times before I even started. So it goes, when it's time for me to sit down and knit very often I'm too tired. I fell asleep on the couch the other day at 8pm, most days I'm ready for bed at 5. pm. Before making dinner. 
Anyways let's get on to the knitty-gritty. See what I did there? Anyways.

baby hat

I wanted to make a vintage-style TFL beanie without getting too busy. Making a baby beanie in worsted makes for a quick knit and not a lot of room to get fancy. I made a swatch in sport cuz that's what I had around, the swatch turned out great. Once it came to doing the real thing it was a disaster! I don't even remember how many times I had to redo the intarsia, maybe 5 times before I gave up. I ended up just doing double-stitch. Double-stitch isn't my favorite technique but it works when nothing else will. Let me tell you, it was a mess! My tension was out of control! Too tight, too loose, wonky-donkey mess. That's what happens when I'm too tired to pay attention to what I'm doing. And here it is.

Baby hat

I used Purl Soho's Classic cuffed hat pattern and Knit Picks wool of the Andes in Noble Heather and Silver. I think I used size 5 needles, but I'm a scatter-brain and didn't write it down. Whoops!
I did 16 rounds of green, and 10 stitches high per letter. I, of course, used my graphic paper pad to plan out the letters and did almost a full swatch. For the swatch I knit 3 rounds in grey before started the tests for the letters and knit until 2 or 3 rounds from finishing to make sure the spacing was ok. If it wasn't for a baby, I'd add a pompom.  I learned my lesson with babies and pompoms. (hint - they chew the pompoms and it get gross really fast!)

I'm really happy with the color combo, sometimes it's hard to tell when ordering online. I'd definitely would use Noble heather and silver together again. The top picture is the most true to life colors, it'd a bit difficult to get photos of accurate colors without natural light, and there is no natural light at 5 am. Let's give an around of applause to my lovely model, Zip-lock bag full of air in the top photo.


baby toque


baby toque

I hope you like it, little-bitty baby! I already know your parentals will be all about it. Up next is part two of little bitty Rosie's baby knits. Isn't Rosie such a beautiful name? 


No comments:

Post a Comment