Friday, December 25, 2015

Merry Christmas from Scribs farm!

I can't believe it's Christmas already! Yesterday for a shiny, glorious moment it snowed!
The kids are exciting and full of sugar. They're bouncy off the walls. Ellie (Our elf on a shelf) has gone home to the North Pole until next year, not without a big send-off.
why so sad, snowman?

It's funny how having kids changes everything, I was never big into Christmas after the age of about 12. Christmas music was a torture device and the whole charade seemed... well, a bit silly. And then came the babies, and everything changed. I want them to have great family memories, not just of opening present but of doing things together. Putting up the tree, baking cookies (followed up eating way too much frosting and running around yelling "We're full of sugar"), going to see Santa and taking a drive in the dark to see the lights. We've been listen to Christmas music for weeks and surprisingly I don't want to smash my face through a wall. Things change. The best way to spread Christmas cheer, is singing loud for all to hear. And dancing around like an idiot!
LED lights are the best!

My favorite tradition that we've started with A is picking out a toy that he would like to have and donating it to Toys for Tots. I'm endlessly proud when he says "Mom, look at that cool toy. We should donate it!" He's 4, he certainly doesn't understand the how and why. He just thinks that some kids could use more toys and he wants to give them! I'm hoping they'll be ready to let go of the toys they no longer play with, they aren't there yet.

The tree skirt doubles as a cape!
We're also decided that having huge meal for Christmas isn't us. We're having snacks and cold appetizers all day with a few hot ones for dinner. I certainly don't want to spend the day in the kitchen. Maybe when the kids are older and want to hang out in their rooms, we'll do something. For now, with just the 4 of us this works best. I bought some cheese last week that I'm dying to eat. Every time I open the fridge it's screaming "EAT ME!"
One of these things is not like the others. I made 3 of the 4 stockings.

At this time of year, I can't help but think of how blessed we are and I am so overwhelmingly grateful for everything we have in life. My heart is full. I'm a sap I know, but it's true.

I hope your Christmas (or whatever you choose to celebrate) is full of joy and magic. And if that's not your thing, I hope you get to do whatever makes you happy and have a great relaxing day.





No comments:

Post a Comment