Thursday, December 17, 2015

Christmas Traditions - Fruit Cake, yay or nay?

Family Tradition

There are few things that make me feel like it's Christmas like food. Every year as a kid we'd have the staples - Sugar Cookies, butter tarts, chocolates wrapped in colorful foil, candy canes and fruit cake. Fruit cake is right up there with Egg Nog, you either love it or hate it with no middle ground.  I like it in small doses. One slice a year and I'm set. I haven't had any in at least 7 years, probably more.

My Nana and Poppa made the fruit cakes in our family. Their secret family recipe has been highly requested by those outside the limited few with a copy. No one has made the recipe in many years and I've decided to carry on the tradition.

This year was the first year I attempted to bake this beast. It was an expensive feat! I had very little idea how much work was involved! 1 recipe makes a lot, it would barely fit into my giant stand mixer bowl. There is a lot of chopping and mixing involved, definitely a work out! Baking seem to take forever. I really wasn't sure when it was done, so I guessed and it seemed to be right. I think I texted my mum about 30 times during the whole process.

So if I'm not a huge fan of fruit cake, why make it? Nostalgia? Maybe. Mostly it makes me sad to think that the fruit cake tradition wouldn't continue.

simple wrapping for food gifts

The smell brings me right back to being little and the excitement of Christmas. My first bite was exactly as I remember. Exactly!
I'll be taking some over to the neighbors, one recipe makes about 5 cakes. 5! I've wrapped it very simply in waxed paper and twine. I don't think everything has to be fanky-smancy. Simple is usually best. I certainly won't be offended if they don't like fruit cake.
I think my fruit cake would make my Nana and Poppa proud. And hungry.

And right now, it's snowing.

What are you favorite Christmas Traditions?

No comments:

Post a Comment