Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Blame it on the rain!



It's here, our first flood season at Scribs' farm! A few nights ago around 5pm, our neighbor came by to tell us "it's coming." my stomach dropped and I felt that I was going to throw up and cry at the same time. Scribs and I went out to check things out and it was indeed coming. I had no idea what to expect! It was already dark out making it a challenge it see exactly what was happening. We walked out in the feild, then checked the neighbors berry farm. And there is was, coming across rows of berries.



For the rest of the night we were watching and waiting for something. We didn't know how much water would come or how fast it would rise. Once the sun came up, and I was sure that the water wasn't at the house I took the dog out and looked around.  This is our newly formed Lake Scribs. 










I went out to check how thick the ice was and how much was was under it. I'm surprised to say that there is 3" of ice but nothing under it. I'm guessing the ground has absorbed the water. I'm hoping the weather cooperates and melts the ice before it rains or floods some more.
I noticed a hole inside the fire pit, after breaking the ice I found nothing under it.

Watching water creep into your yard is terrifying, especially when you have no idea whats normal river flooding and what might wash your house away.

No comments:

Post a Comment